Honey-glazed carrots are a favorite side dish around the High Holidays. I decided to add a little kick to a Martha Stewart recipe to make this version different from the usual. Add as much chipotle as you can handle to keep you reaching for your water glass and well-hydrated before your fast.
Total time: 40 min.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs mini carrot sticks, halved, or regular carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths, halved if thick
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- Juice of 2 limes (about ¼ cup)
- ½ tsp ground chipotle pepper, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots; cook, stirring once, until they are starting to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add water, honey, lime juice, and chipotle. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until crisp-tender, 10 minutes.
- Uncover, and cook over medium-high until carrots are tender and liquid is syrupy, 7 to 9 minutes more (there should be only a small amount of liquid remaining).
- Remove skillet from heat; add butter, and swirl skillet until melted. Salt to taste.
© Courtney Weiner. All Rights Reserved.