Name: Rabbi Aaron Miller
What people call you: Rabbi Miller
Congregation: Washington Hebrew Congregation
- Main Campus: 3935 Macomb St. NW, Washington, DC 20008
- Suburban Campus: 11810 Falls Road, Potomac,MD 20854
Ordained from: Hebrew Union College
Programs/Services you run/offer: 2239!2239 is a dynamic and innovative community of DC-area Jews between the ages of 22 and 39 who are looking for a Jewish community to call their own. We are a social gathering, a religious group, a tikkun olam community, and much more. 2239 is a fantastic way for young Jewish professionals to meet other 20’s and 30’s and deepen their Jewish connection.
Join our network of over 1,700 DC-area young Jewish professionals by signing up for our weekly newsletter!
- Social Events with Jewish 20’s and 30’s: Our trips to Nationals MLB games, happy hours, presidential debate watching parties, and other social events are fantastic opportunities for DC’s Jewish 20s and 30s to meet each other and have a great time.
- Shabbat Community: Our monthly Metro Minyan Shabbat community meets on the 3rd Friday of every month for a casual, musical (with guitar), come-as-you are service, followed by dinner, where hundreds of 2239’ers have come together to celebrate. For anyone who can make it, be sure to join us before Metro Minyan for a “Shot of Torah,” an in-depth, “no background necessary” discussion on the Torah portion over drinks.
- Social Action: 2239 engages in cutting-edge social action projects as close as DC and as far as Alabama, West Virginia, New Orleans, and even Cuba to lend a hand to people and communities in need.
- Jewish Holidays: 2239 offers inclusive and engaging High Holy Day opportunities for DC’s 20’s and 30’s. Our annual Purim Ball and 2239 Passover Seder are exciting, inclusive, and welcoming opportunities to celebrate Jewish holidays with DC’s young Jewish professionals.
Specialty within Judaism: Building 20’s and 30’s Jewish community, social action, weddings and life cycle, interfaith dialogue, and Adam Sandler movies.
One DC Jewish event that you highly recommend: Metro Minyan! It’s amazing!
Hobbies: Running, playing guitar, snowboarding, and the Pittsburgh Steelers
Fun fact about you: Hmm… I was an internet “celebrity” for about two weeks. My college buddies turned my room upside senior year when I was away interviewing for rabbinical school. They filmed my reaction walking into the immaculately clean, yet upside down room, and the prank got millions of views from all over the world. The video was featured on an HGTV show about college dorm rooms, and there’s a website http://lightsideup.com/ dedicated to its (unfortunate) perpetuity.
Rabbi Aaron Miller • Washington Hebrew Congregation
202.362.7100 (office) 202.537.1091 (fax)
Anything else: I am from Birmingham, Alabama, which is decidedly one of the most interesting places to grow up as a Jew. My grandfather z’l, and my dad are both rabbis, so I knew what I was getting into. I love working at Washington Hebrew Congregation, and especially 2239. 239 is a dynamic and innovative community of DC-area Jews between the ages of 22 and 39 who are looking for a Jewish community to call their own. We are a social gathering, a religious group, a tikkun olam community, and much more. With over 1,700 members in our ever-growing network, 2239 is a fantastic way for young Jewish professionals to meet other 20’s and 30’s and deepen their Jewish connection.