We know that we’ve been babbling on about the Gather the Jews Executive Director position for the last two weeks, but don’t let us trick you into thinking that our ED position is the only Jewish job out there! Check out this new job opening sent to us by our friends at The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington. Have other job postings, or want to see what else is out there? Then post to our Job Board!
Resumes and cover letters should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position: Greater Washington Regional Representative, Masa Israel Journey
Department: Financial Resource Development (FRD)
Reports To: Young Leadership Director
Date: May 2012
Organizational Vision, Mission and Function:
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington is a non-profit philanthropic organization dedicated to creating a vibrant and purposeful Jewish community. The Jewish Federation inspires, connects, educates and supports. The Federation’s primary functions are community planning and allocations, financial resource development, and leadership development.
Masa Israel Journey connects Jewish young adults to gap year, study abroad, post-college, and volunteer programs. Through these immersive experiences, lasting between five and twelve months, participants develop a deep, personal connection to Israel and Jewish life.
Masa Israel provides simple access to over 200 immersive experiences that are as varied as Israel itself and helps navigate the entire process at every step along the way. Masa Israel grants and scholarships make it all possible, automatically connecting qualified participants to up to $7,500. Over 55,000 young adults have participated in Masa Israel programs since 2004, with over 10,000 participants experiencing Israel during the 2010 – 2011 academic year.
This Regional Representative position is a product of the collaboration between the Jewish Agency for Israel and The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington to enhance the Masa presence in the Greater Washington Jewish community and help integrate Masa alumni into the young adult community. The Regional Representative will work with Federation’s Young Leadership team in an effort to collaborate on initiatives and strategies to engage young adults in the Jewish community and The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington.
A strategic team-player, the Greater Washington Regional Representative for Masa Israel Journey is responsible for connecting young adults to experiences in Israel that fit their interests and supporting them through the process. This means recruiting for Masa programs, assisting potential participants in choosing the best fit program, helping them access funding to lower the cost of their experience and advising them on what to expect along the way and in Israel. It also means following up with participants once they return to the Greater Washington area and helping integrate them into the Jewish community.
- General outreach to young adults in their 20s and 30s
- Designing and overseeing a wide-range of recruitment initiatives for high school, college, and post-college populations including outreach to potential participants and their parents
- Developing partnerships with local community organizations and influencers
- Supporting local Masa Israel Campus Representatives
- Coordinating events in partnership with local community organizations
- Consulting and assisting with Masa Israel program staff on their marketing and recruiting campaigns within the community
- Initiating projects locally to connect with Masa Israel alumni with local Jewish life and maintain their Israel connection
- Cultivating personal relationships with alumni, mentoring them on Jewish communal life
- Connecting alumni to relevant local, regional and national activities to help cultivate their interests
- Working with the Young Leadership professional team to connect alumni and their peers to the work of The Jewish Federation in an effort to develop their philanthropic, volunteer and/or professional niche
- Experience in community organizing, communications, Jewish education, customer service or related fields
- Intimate knowledge of and passion for the Jewish community, its customs and practices
- Prior Israel experience, long-term preferred
- Highly motivated and entrepreneurial with the ability to be a self-starter
- Experience in event coordination and planning
- Exceptional organization and communication skills (both written and oral)
- Ability to develop relationships and work with a diverse population
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and short deadlines
- Ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously; seeming them from concept through execution
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- A basic understanding of social media tools and how to use them to further our goals
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2-5 years of related experience