Get excited… today I’m sharing the second edition of the “From Bad to Worse” series, showing actual photos, profiles, or e-mails from various online dating sites that are too good (as in, too awful) not to show.
In online dating, making a good first impression is the key. For this reason, it’s important to always put your best foot forward, especially when it comes to your photos.
As a reminder, below are the five rules of thumb for your online dating photos:
- Less is more: 3-5 good pictures are better than 10 mediocre pictures.
- Have at least one clear “face” photo: Since you first come up just as a thumbnail, you want to make sure that you give someone a reason to click.
- Be by yourself in the shot: No need to allow someone to compare you to someone else in your own profile.
- Have one photo where you’re doing something interesting: Give someone an excuse to e-mail you… to ask what you’re doing in that picture.
- Be accurate: You won’t win someone over by lying about your looks.
Even if you don’t follow the rules above, some photos should never make it onto your online dating profile. All of the photos below miss the mark.
I get being afraid to reveal too much online, but come on!
Has anyone heard of cropping?
Is it true? Yet another fanny pack!
Seriously? She’s showing a picture of herself from her first wedding! So wrong!
This was the only picture he had.
If you’d like to contribute any photos/profiles you find or e-mails you (or friends) receive to “From Bad to Worse,” please e-mail email@example.com.
Erika Ettin is, as the Washington Post has noted, a “modern day Cyrano.” She is the Founder of A Little Nudge, where she helps people with all aspects of online dating. An archive of all of Erika’s columns is also available. Want to connect with Erika? Join her newsletter for updates and tips.