“Oh, the weather outside is frightful… but the fire is so delightful.” (As an aside: Why does everyone on online dating sites like cuddling by the fire? I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a fireplace, nor do I know anyone who does, except my parents. So either all these people are living in posh places with a disproportionate number of fireplaces, or they think it’s what people want to hear. I’d venture to say the latter.)
Back to business. When the weather outside starts getting cold, and when you look out your window at 4:30 PM and it’s already dark, the thought of planning creative date ideas can get a bit daunting. Have no fear. In a city like DC, there are plenty of fun and creative date ideas that can beat the cold and stoke the fire of a new relationship.
Enjoy a delicious winter drink that will warm you through and through
- Tabard Inn: Specials change daily.
- Poste: Offering several warm drinks and a heated outdoor bar area.
- POV at the W Hotel: Lots of warm winter cocktails
Go ice skating at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden
- Grab some hot chocolate, a pair of gloves, and show off your triple axel. And speaking of hot chocolate…
Grab some hot chocolate or a spiked coffee
- Many organizations have volunteer activities in the winter to help people in need, such as throwing holiday parties, wrapping gifts, or packing meals. The DC JCC is a great place to start. You can show each other your caring side.
- Show off your skills at the alley… just don’t get a gutterball!
Just because you can’t bask in the sun at a Nats game or sit on the roof of El Centro, it doesn’t mean you can’t go out and have fun with your date… winter style. Plus, who doesn’t like a pair of tall boots, right? Enjoy… and button up.