Considering U.S. headlines were a bit overloaded this week, I had to search extra hard for my Jewish/Israel stories… but nevertheless, here’s some debt-free news:
- California Judge decides that all foreskins were not created equal.
- In the race to replace Anthony Weiner (read: to be Israel’s better friend), former Democratic Mayor Ed Koch endorses Republican Bob Turner in order to send a firm message to President Obama on Israel, but Democratic opponent David Weprin may have just one-upped Turner: Senator Joseph Lieberman goes to bat for his fellow Orthodox Jew.
- Doggy diapers are on their way! Brought to you by an Israeli company, NUFAR Natural Products, this new product solves the “dog poo problem” and may clean our sidewalks for good!
- Israeli swimmer Gal Navo becomes the second Israeli to qualify for the 2012 London Summer Olympics.
- In what is consider to be one of the largest demonstrations in Israel’s history, 150,000 Israelis take to the streets of Tel Aviv to demand more affordable housing prices.
- Facebook, insistent upon their policy of free speech, rejects a request by Holocaust survivors to remove “Holocaust denial” pages on the site.
- Two elderly Jewish women, ages 77 and 85, are the very first same-sex couple to marry in New York City!
Candace Mittel is a Gather the Jews summer associate